The Grierson Trust launches DocLab 2015 Training and Mentoring Scheme
The Grierson Trust is on the hunt for the next generation of documentary filmmakers. The 2015 Grierson Trust DocLab is an opportunity for 18 – 25 year olds to turn their passion for television and factual storytelling into reality. The Trust is now seeking applications from young people who have ideas on what they can contribute to the industry and who can offer fresh perspectives which are not being reflected on the screen.
Lorraine Heggessey, Chairman of The Grierson Trust said: “The television industry needs new entrants from a variety of different backgrounds and experiences to make exciting, interesting and thought-provoking factual and documentary programmes. The Grierson DocLab offers its participants an important first step on the ladder into the documentary industry whether as an aspiring editor, producer or director.”
The Grierson DocLab offers participants the support they need towards a successful career in factual programme making. This includes a residential training programme, access to award winning industry professionals, structured mentoring support, the chance to attend the internationally recognised Sheffield Doc/Fest, and a paid placement with a production company. The Trust will additionally provide ongoing bespoke support continue participants progress with their career choice within the sector.
This opportunity is for new entrants aged 18-25, and will support a variety of roles behind the camera. The scheme starts with an intensive four-day residential programme in Birmingham for four consecutive days (18-21 May).
The training will include:
• An introduction to the genre covering different types of documentaries and styles of shooting.
• Learning how to research ideas, develop and pitch them.
• Script development focusing on structure and story.
• Exploring production roles and a practical exercise to experience the different positions.
• Information, advice and careers guidance.
Successful applicants will also benefit from a two-day self-shoot/editing training weekend.
To apply for a place on this year’s Grierson DocLab and Mentoring Scheme further details and an applications form are available from firstname.lastname@example.org or at www.griersontrust.org. The closing date for applications is 5pm, Tues 7 April 2015.
• Be aged between 18-25
• Be available to attend the selection day on Wednesday 29 April 2015, in central Birmingham
• Be available to attend all days of the DocLab (Monday 18 – Thursday 21 May 2015).
• Be available to attend Sheffield Doc/Fest between Friday 5 – Monday 8 June 2015
• Be available for a paid placement (one or two weeks in duration) at a time to be agreed
Please note: As this is a new entrant scheme, it is not for individuals who have had paid placement experiences.